The Bible & Alchemy

Meister Eckhart
Attribution-NoDerivs License by h.koppdelaney

I have come to think of the Bible as an Alchem­i­cal text.

Alchemy is a word used to describe a process that turns base­ness to gold. The ancient alchemists tried to turn actual metal to the sub­stance of gold. But there is another, more imme­di­ate appli­ca­tion of the term alchemy … it is the process of refin­ing our own inter­nal base­ness into gold.

This is the art of trans­mu­ta­tion that inter­ests me most. And the Bible is all about it.

Every char­ac­ter, every place, name and num­ber used in the Bible is sig­nif­i­cant. The sto­ries depict our own inter­nal char­ac­ters and strug­gles. The Bible out­lines in detail the process of trans­form­ing our own con­scious­ness so that we can come into at-one-ment (atone­ment) with God.

13 Responses to The Bible & Alchemy
  1. Mysterium
    February 25, 2009 | 2:51 pm

h:

Spir­i­tual Alchemy” is the salve of weak minds. The Alchemy of the ancients was not any­thing like the “spir­i­tual” (read New Age) dri­vel that is being sold by today’s igno­rant “adepts” (and to some extant repeated in this post).

The Philosopher’s Stone is a Real sub­stance some­thing that can be touched, smelled, tasted…it is not some fluffy “turn your base spirit into gold” crap.

But you are right. The Bible is an alchem­i­cal text (as are many of the ancient texts) just not in the way you indicate.

Why bother telling you this? Because I “see” much poten­tial in you…

Return to your stud­ies and do not leave them till you have dis­cov­ered the key which unlocks the mysteries.

Lege, Lege, Lege, Relege, Ora et Invienes.

Mys­terium

2. Lynne
    February 25, 2009 | 6:25 pm

Mys­terium, Thank you for your direct­ness. It inspires me to con­tinue my pur­suit of truth. Do you have a rec­om­men­da­tion for fur­ther study?

3. elizabeth longphre
    February 25, 2009 | 7:56 pm

I love Lynne’s response! So inspirational.

4. […] Lynne on March 1, 2009 I received “strong encour­age­ment” from a com­ment posted on my blog recently to deepen my stud­ies in Alchemy. I replied and asked for study sug­ges­tions. I […]

5. Nancy Kaye
    March 17, 2009 | 9:03 pm

Mys­terium: What does:

Lege, Lege, Lege, Relege, Ora et Invienes mean? Please speak English.

• Lolabunny85
      October 10, 2012 | 1:42 pm

Mys­te­ri­ous is try­ing to sound vauge on pur­pose and hes wrong, the great work of alchemy is spir­i­tual and the key is YOU, philoso­phers stone is a state of enlight­en­ment, not a real sub­stance. Just like the ark of the covenant doest rep­re­sent a real machine, its your head the radio to God is your brain(telepathy) It takes intu­ition to find out the keys and I assure you any­one claim­ing that the sym­bols in the bible are real objects doesnt have the keys to anything

6. Lynne
    March 18, 2009 | 5:03 am

This is a Latin phrase found often in alchemy (the alchem­i­cal text Mutus Liber, for instance) that trans­lates, “Read, read, read, reread, pray and discover.”

7. Oaktree
    June 14, 2011 | 9:50 pm

Love the idea of turn­ing your insides into gold and at-one-ment. Per­haps Chris­tian­ity is meant to be more than just… dumb rit­u­als. Thank you for giv­ing me hope in my faith.

8. Arcanum
    September 10, 2011 | 6:27 pm

Unlike our friend Mys­terium, I do not think that Spir­i­tual alchemy is the salve of weak minds; how­ever, that being said, I do believe he is right in that there is a stone which we can cre­ate in all real­ity.
    You see, there is only one path; yet there are two lanes. As above, so below. The spir­i­tual and the phys­i­cal are in har­mony.
    With­out ques­tion, the spir­i­tual alchemy is impor­tant; but do not let that fact negate nor belit­tle the impor­tance of the prac­ti­cal facet of the Mag­num Opus.
    I leave you with a song:
    — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -
    There’s a lady who’s sure all that glit­ters is gold
    And she’s buy­ing the stair­way to heaven.
    When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
    With a word she can get what she came for.
    Ooh, ooh, and she’s buy­ing the stair­way to heaven.

There’s a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
    ’Cause you know some­times words have two mean­ings.
    In a tree by the brook, there’s a song­bird who sings,
    Some­times all of our thoughts are mis­given.
    Ooh, it makes me won­der,
    Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There’s a feel­ing I get when I look to the west,
    And my spirit is cry­ing for leav­ing.
    In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    And the voices of those who stand look­ing.
    Ooh, it makes me won­der,
    Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it’s whis­pered that soon if we all call the tune
    Then the piper will lead us to rea­son.
    And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
    And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there’s a bus­tle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now,
    It’s just a spring clean for the May queen.
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There’s still time to change the road you’re on.
    And it makes me wonder.

Your head is hum­ming and it won’t go, in case you don’t know,
    The piper’s call­ing you to join him,
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    Your stair­way lies on the whis­per­ing wind.

And as we wind on down the road
    Our shad­ows taller than our soul.
    There walks a lady we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show
    How every­thing still turns to gold.
    And if you lis­ten very hard
    The tune will come to you at last.
    When all are one and one is all
    To be a rock and not to roll.

And she’s buy­ing the stair­way to heaven.

• Lynne
      September 15, 2011 | 3:17 pm

Arcanum. thank you for your response! I know lit­tle of alchemy other than what I’ve been given through my own study and daily work with an inner guide — I know I am scratch­ing the sur­face of a vast under­stand­ing of knowl­edge, and at the same time I stand already amazed at the tremen­dous keys I’ve gained regard­ing the alchemy of spir­i­tual trans­for­ma­tion. Yes, the two lanes of the one path, ascend­ing and descend­ing… as stated in the Emer­ald Tablet, “It ascends from the earth to the heaven, and again descends to the earth…” (BOTA). I read recently about how every merid­ian in the body is made of two path­ways … and about how every par­ti­cle has an an exact equal and oppo­site antipar­ti­cle, estab­lish­ing a set of oppo­site poles between which energy is trans­mit­ted and (I believe) allows man­i­fes­ta­tion to hap­pen. I don’t know if any of this is rel­e­vant to alchemy, and the mak­ing of the stone — but I’m hunch­ing maybe yes? :) Thanks again.

9. Steven
    August 13, 2012 | 12:51 am

Christ is the philosopoher’s stone of Spir­i­tual Alchemy.

• Lynne
      August 13, 2012 | 4:33 pm

I agree Steven … the trans­mu­ta­tion of our every­day con­scious­ness into the con­scious­ness of Christ within us is indeed to have found the philosopher’s stone. Thank you for say­ing so. :) Blessings

10. teresa
    March 22, 2014 | 11:25 pm

Finally I find some­one who sees what I see. If you truly spend years learn­ing philosophy,astronomy, alchemy, mythol­ogy, history,all ancient reli­gions and ety­mol­ogy . Then you learn all things had many names and you see that in all the names are chem­i­cals and the sto­ries are for­mu­las. Once you fig­ure all this out its just putting the puz­zle pieces together. Your on the right path my friend. I encour­age you to travel on.